Liver Cancer Diagnosis & Life Expectancy
What is liver cancer?
Cancer primarily implies the rapid division and multiplication of cells, beyond the control of human, which impairs the proper functioning and sequential working of the body.
Cells are the building blocks of tissues. These tissues are what make up muscles and organs of the body. Thus, instead of dying out, these cells continue to live on and spread to other parts of the body. It is important to note that only those cancers that start or originate in the liver can be termed as “liver cancer”.
Functions of the liver are:
- Production of bile to absorb fats.
- Absorb nutrients from the food and drinks we consume.
- Allow the body to clear toxins like alcohol or drugs.
Tests for Diagnosis of Liver Cancer:
- Blood tests: A series of blood tests is the first thing that the doctor recommended even when we went to him for a simple thing as a fever, as kids. Well, similar is the case with liver cancer. The first and most common way of diagnosing liver cancer is by going for the suggested blood tests as soon as possible. The reports of these blood tests do not take too long to come an immediately curative measure can be taken.
- Imaging tests: The most common imaging test that most of us have undergone at some point of time in our lives is X-ray. However, in case of diagnosis of liver cancer, ultrasound, computerized tomography (CT) scan, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) are suggested. These are absolutely pain-free imaging tests and there is nothing to be worried about or be scared of. You will simply be placed before the scanning machines. It is recommended that you avoid wearing any metallics, accessories, and jewellery while going for the tests.
- A sample of liver tissue: The doctor will simply remove a small portion of your liver tissue and send it for laboratory examination to determine if you have liver cancer. However, please know beforehand that the liver biopsy has certain associated risks such as bleeding, bruising and infection.
- Staging tests: This is to know the stage of cancer and how it must be treated.
Symptoms of Liver Cancer:
The following are general symptoms of liver cancer. Please understand that you may have any of these signs or a combination of these. But, that does not mean or denote that you are suffering from liver cancer.
It is very important to first visit a certified doctor and get the recommended tests done. After receiving the reports, should you decide on the treatment and course to take according to your ailment and requirement.
- Steady loss of weight.
- Loss of appetite.
- Feeling of nausea
- Enlarged liver. (lump under the left side of the ribs)
- Enlarged spleen. (lump under the left side of the ribs)
- Pain the abdominal area and right shoulder.
- Swelling in the abdomen.
- Recurring fever
- Enlarged stomach veins which are easy visible through the skin.
- Easy bruising.
Treatment of Liver Cancer:
It is first very important to diagnose the liver cancer stages and if it has spread to parts of the body other than the liver. Only then can effective treatment measures be undertaken.
- Surgery: This implies removal of the tumor. This option depends on the location of the cancer, the extent to which the liver is able to function smoothly and overall health and well-being of the affected individual. This also include the possibility of a liver transplant where the affected liver is removed and replaced by a donor’s healthy liver. However, this is possible only for those who are at an early stage of liver cancer.
- Localized treatments include heating cancer cells and cooling cancer cells. Alcohol is injected ( preferably ethanol injections) to kill tumour cells. These are being injected either through skin or during an operation. Moreover, injection of chemotherapy drugs into the liver and placement of radiation beads is done in the liver. These tiny spheres filled with radiation destroy cancer cells by continuously emitting radiations on them.
- Radiation therapy: High energy beams such as X-ray and protons are used to destroy the cancer cells.
- Targeted drug therapy: abnormalities within the tumor are targeted.
- Immunotherapy: This is a biological procedure.
It is felt by a large number of cancer affected patients that immunotherapy is one of the best deal ways for treating cancer. Plenty of side effects exist with the cancer treatment but immunotherapy is considered safe and side-effect free.
Though there is no complete way of getting rid of the deadly disease, immunotherapy is well appreciated and sought by many as it is a biological process.
In immunotherapy, certain medicines are used to make the immune system stronger. Thereby, chances are taken to make the body and its immune system healthy enough to fight against the disease and infections.
By homeopathic immunotherapy, one can build a stronger immune system to fight against this disease.
Candrol, a homeopathic medication by Dr. Rishi works on the lines of immunotherapy and helps palliate cancer to a larger extent. It works on the fourth modality of the system and being a side-effect free treatment without any further side effects have been a boon to many patients.
Hope you find this article useful. You can ask any query in the comment box.
Leave a reply